Wichita, Kansas

I’m having foot surgery on Tuesday, November 24th, and will require a HurryCane (3-pronged cane) for my recovery. I called the local number listed for Apria on Tuesday, November 10th, and got the national customer service line. I gave my info over the phone and let them know I was having foot surgery on Tuesday, November 24th, and needed my cane no later than Monday, November 23rd. I then tried to fax in my script to the number they gave me. The fax failed, due to an error on your end. I tried faxing the script again on Thursday, November 12th, and it finally went through.

I called Apria on Friday, November 13th, to verify receipt of the fax, and asked when I could expect my cane. I was told that the person pulled up my info and put a “911” on it to get it processed faster, and that it would probably be worked by the end of the day, but certainly by Saturday, which would mean they would call UnitedHealthcare on Monday for approval. I was informed that after the script was processed, they would order my cane, then the local office would contact me when it was ready to pick-up. I was told that they received a delivery of DME equipment every Friday, so I should expect my cane the following Friday, November 20th.

I called in to Apria again on Tuesday, November 17th, and found out my script hadn’t been processed yet. I was put on hold while the person I was talking too called the department responsible for processing my script. I was told I would receive a call within 24 hours with info on when I would get my cane.

24 hours passed, and I called Apria again on Wednesday, November 18th. Once again I was put on hold while the person I was talking with called someone responsible for processing my script. I was told my script had been escalated, and I should hear from the local office about picking up my cane by the following day.

Thursday passed without any contact from Apria. I called again on Friday, November 20th. I was told that my claim had finally been processed on Thursday, November 19th, which was a week after Apria had received my faxed script and 6 days after Apria had promised it would be processed. I was told the warehouse didn’t stock the HurryCane I was prescribed; that it was a special order. I reiterated that I was having surgery on Tuesday, November 24th, and that I needed my cane no later than Monday, November 23rd. I was told I would hear from the local office before the end of the day letting me know when I would get delivery of my cane.

Later in the afternoon on Friday, November 20th, I received a call from Apria telling me that I could pick up my cane from the Wichita office. I took time off work to go pick up the cane, because they close at 5pm. When I arrived at the Apria office, they tried to give me a standard cane, instead of the 3-prong HurryCane I had been prescribed by my podiatrist. Apria didn’t have a HurryCane in stock, and told me that there was no way they could get one in before my surgery on the morning of Tuesday, November 24th. The lady at the front desk told me I should take a copy of my script to Hart Pharmacy and Home Medical. I informed her that Hart was NOT in-network. I told them to cancel my order for a cane, as I would have to go buy one at retail price and wait to get reimbursed by UnitedHealthcare. So, I was lied to yet again by Apria, and wasted my time and gas money to go pick up a cane that they didn’t have.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments

I must say, I am reading the reviews and so fare most comments that relate to my situation appear to be true. I have been trying to order replacement pieces without any luck speaking to a rep.

I left messages with description and no one returns your call.

I send text messages and call. Good luck reaching a rep.

Apria Reviews